Jumping for Joy over Jojoba
Besides being fun to say, jojoba (pronounced ho-HO-ba) oil is great to use on your skin. Jojoba oil and wax are produced from the seeds from the Jojoba shrub, which is native to southern Arizona, southern California, and northwestern Mexico.
Native Americans have used the oil from jojoba seeds to treat sores and wounds for many years.
“During the early Eighteenth Century Jesuit missionaries in Baja observed them heating jojoba seeds to soften them. They then used pestle and mortar to create a salve or buttery substance. The latter was applied to the skin and hair to heal and condition. Native Americans also used the salve to soften and preserve animal hides. Pregnant women ate jojoba seeds, believing they assisted during childbirth. Hunters and raiders munched jojoba on the trail to keep hunger at bay.” (jojobacompany.com)
When applied to the skin, jojoba oil works as an emollient, meaning it is effective for healing dry, flaky, itchy skin. It can help soothe and heal acne, psoriasis, sunburn, and chapped skin.
Here are some highlights about this amazing oil:
- jojoba oil is actually a wax ester - it's lighter and less greasy than other oils
- it's easily absorbed into the skin, and provides a long-lasting, long-acting layer of moisture; it doesn’t evaporate like a water-based moisturizer
- it's chock full of vitamins B and E, and minerals like copper and zinc - all which help nourish and protect the skin
- jojoba oil contains antioxidants and fatty acids, with properties similar to the skin’s own sebum (the substance that is secreted by the sebaceous glands that help keep the skin and hair moisturized)
- jojoba oil is naturally antifungal, antibacterial, hypoallergenic, and anti-inflammatory
- it won’t clog pores or cause acne
- it can serve as an effective dandruff treatment
- it's a great makeup remover and safe to use around your eyes
- it has a long shelf life - in fact, jojoba is the only vegetable oil we know that does not turn rancid!
As you can see, jojoba oil is truly a skin’s (and hair’s) best friend.
At Heliotrope, we have several products that contain jojoba that we think you will like.
With our Jojoba & Shea Hydrating Lotion, we’ve combined two moisturizing superstars to create a super-hydrating lotion. Do your skin a favor and treat it to this wonderful blend. Available fragrance free or customize it with any essential blend you’d like (at no extra cost!)
Don’t deny your hair the same treatment! Our Jojoba & Panthenol Nourishing Conditioner features jojoba oil to help prevent dryness and promote elasticity, while panthenol helps repair split ends. In just a few weeks, you’ll notice softer, shinier, more manageable hair and a happier scalp!
Jojoba makes a special guest appearance in our Lemon & Thyme Charcoal Face Scrub. This clay-based foaming scrub includes powdered activated charcoal and natural jojoba beads. Gently remove dead skin cells and lift away impurities! Available in two sizes; no perfume added - just pure essential oils.
Effervescent Bath Salts w/Jojoba & Silk Proteins will add fizz to an intensive moisturizing bath experience. Relax, light some candles, and get prepared to exit your bath with some very soft, smooth skin. No artificial fragrances - just naturally scented with essential oils.
To see more Heliotrope SF products that contain jojoba, click here-----> jojoba!
What’s your favorite jojoba product? Tell us in the comments below!