Winter has the reputation for being hard on the skin, especially the skin of our hands. We use our hands for almost every task - cooking, cleaning, gardening. If you’re like me, you occasionally do things without the protection of gloves, and this can exacerbate existing skin problems. Sports equipment such as racquets and golf clubs combined with using different garden tools can cause blisters, which may develop into calluses. Sometimes you need to go a bit deeper than applying a simple moisturizer and take some time to pamper your hands. You put your hands through so much, isn’t it time to give them a spa treatment?
Are your hands rough and chapped? It may be time for gentle exfoliation. Our Sugar Scrub is excellent for removing rough skin while the moisturizing qualities of shea butter leaves the skin feeling soft, smooth and protected. Follow-up with our rich Shea & Beeswax Hand Cream or for the healing power of aloe and the deep hydration of shea butter, apply our Jojoba & Shea Butter Hydrating Lotion.
Engage all of your senses when you customize your Scrub and Cream or Lotion with essential oils. In the shop, you are able to smell your different choices or ask for advice based on the result you want. For example, Lavender is well known for being a relaxing scent. On-line, you can choose from one of our popular blends. We will happily mix the scent into the product just for you!
If you would like more in-depth treatment ideas for , please scroll down for the full instructions.
Masks aren't just for the face! Apply the cooling Cucumber Hydrating Mask to your damp skin and watch as your skin is soothed and repaired. Follow-up with a lotion such as the Aloe, Olive & Avocado Lotion to seal in the calming benefits of the cucumber mask.
Our Whale Nail Brush adds a touch of whimsy to cleaning beneath your nails. Nail brushes allow you to gently remove any dirt or grime that has accumulated or apply a treatment to the skin of your fingertips.
Enjoy taking care of your hands, and you may find that they quickly become softer and more supple as they respond to the treatment.
The treatments below can be done at any time of day but the effects will be longer lasting if they are done right before bed.
Exfoliating with the Sugar Scrub
- Keep a towel in your lap or over your work surface.
- Pour a generous dollop of oil such as our Five-Oil Blend or your favorite massage oil into the palm of your hand.
- Rub it deeply into each fingernail, one at a time. Continue to rub the oil onto your hands and wrists. And spend time massaging the palm of your hand, rubbing up the root of each finger until you reach the tip. Pay attention to any points where there is tension or a knot.
- Do not wash or rinse your hands. Apply a liberal amount of Sugar Scrub to them.
- Soak two hand towels with warm tap water and wrap them around your hands. Make sure the towels are not too hot. Remove towels when they have completely cooled.
- Wash your hands. There might be some residual oil still on your skin, but this adds to the effectiveness of the over-all treatment. Use a gentle nail brush to scrub any of the scrub out from under your nails.
- Rub a generous dollop of your favorite lotion or cream into your hands and wrists. Put extra lotion onto your nail beds and cuticles.
- Trim and file your nails as you like.
1. Place one of our Effervescent Bath Salts in a large bowl of warm-to-hot water. The bowl should be large enough to submerge your hands in the water. Soak your hands in the hot water ten to twenty minutes. Dry your hands.
2. Apply the Cucumber Hydrating Mask all over your hands. Be sure to apply it to the skin between each of your fingers.
3. Wrap your hands in a clean towel. Leave the mask on for about 10 minutes.
4. Rinse gently and apply a rich lotion such as our Jojoba & Shea Butter Hydrating Lotion seal in hydration.
You can alternate between these two treatments. As always, choose the products that suit you and your skin. You may want to experiment with changing what you use depending on the season and the conditions your hands are exposed to.
I hope you notice a positive changes in your skin and a release of some of the tension you carry in your hands as you add any of these suggestions to your self-care routine.